Unsweetened Savory Cereal Mix
By Danielle Bear, @cacaoforcoconuts_
For a while, cereals were out of the picture for me. Right around the time I started paying attention to the food I ate, I quickly found out sugary cereals weren’t actually the perfect breakfast. They lead me to all-day cravings and hard afternoon crashes. But I rediscovered my love for cereal when I first saw Three Wishes. They quickly became a pantry staple. For the first time in a long time, I had a bowl of cereal before bed. I vividly remember grabbing the last two boxes of Three Wishes from the very sad looking Whole Foods shelf during the beginning of quarantine. My pantry was stocked and my stomach became a bottomless pit. I was quickly done with banana bread at the beginning of quarantine, but needed something else to snack on during Tiger King. And so, this savory cereal mix was born.
I’ve had my share of store bought paleo mixes. I always think of what I wish it had or didn’t have. So when it came my turn to make my own, there was no compromising. All the flavor and all the crunch. Sweet, salty and savory.
The inspiration and the star of the show is Three Wishes Unsweetened cereal. These hold up to heat and absorb the “marinate” oh so well.
Then we have the plantain chips. These are a nice neutral chip and crisp up nicely. Have you had warm roasted cashews? They are heavenly. So are the pecans and pumpkin seeds.
This combination of crunchy cereal, crisp plantains, and tender, flavor-packed nuts is simply divine. You’ll need to try these fresh out of the oven. Eyes on the computer, hand in the mix. You’ll be licking your fingers and cleaning your computer trackpad. They are gone too fast, but luckily the recipe is simple.
- 1 cup Three Wishes Unsweetened Cereal
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup raw cashew
- 1 cup plantain chips
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 250°F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients together in one bowl.
- Make the sauce in another bowl.
- Pour the sauce over the mix, making sure everything is covered.
- Pour the mix onto a baking sheet, spreading it out as much as possible.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Eat straight from the oven and store in an airtight container.
Voila! Enjoy :)